Snow and ice can damage your driveway, so when it comes to protecting it, a shovel is the best choice. Unfortunately, a shovel is not always enough to get through the ice. Despite its ability to effectively melt ice, rock salt can cause damage to concrete and other hardscaping materials. Due to this, a wide variety of deicing products can be found on the market.
If you follow these tips, you can safely and effectively use deicing products.
- Ensure that you know the age of the concrete before applying salt. Concrete that is less than six months old is highly susceptible to the effects of deicers.
- It is important to remove snow and ice as much as possible. A shovel is useful for clearing away snow and slush, and for breaking up ice you may encounter. By breaking up ice, the melting process will be accelerated.
- When heavy foot traffic is present, deicer rock salt should be used sparingly. Rock salt can make surfaces slippery, so applying them sparingly can reduce the risk of falling.
- The use of plants should be avoided. Plants shouldn’t be affected by a small amount of deicer in the soil, but if it builds up, it can be harmful.
- It should be mixed with sand. Sand can increase the traction of your deicer, which will reduce the risk of falling.
- Manufacturers should provide instructions on how to use their products. Depending on the area, you will determine How Much Salt Do You Need. Some deicers will require more product or they won’t work. If you follow the instructions carefully, you will get the best results from your deicer.
- Deicers should be used around animals only if they are safe. Even though your pet may not eat the deicer, they can bring it into the house on their paws or on your shoes where it can get into their mouths.
- During spring, remove all vegetation from sidewalks, driveways, and other areas. Due to this, the residue from the product will be dispersed and the walkway will not be damaged. It is also possible to do this in the winter on days when the water will not freeze before it dries if the weather is warm enough.
- It is not recommended to overuse rock salt. Even if you follow all instructions and rinse everything down, excessive usage can still cause the chemicals to damage your skin.
The task of shoveling and deicing a driveway is never enjoyable, but these guidelines can make it a little less stressful. You already have plenty on your mind with the holiday season fast approaching.